Thursday, August 15, 2013

Memory File Album | Spring Break 2013

          Today I'm sharing the project I created in the spring using the Heidi Swapp Memory File Album that Katheryn Morrow sent me (check out her blog at whimseygirl.blogspot.com).  This album is amazing by itself but when you add all of the super cute things that Heidi and her fabulous team created - WOWZA!!!  Can you believe I gathered 139 photos into this album?  I was inspired and I think you will be too -  take a look at our spring break trip to Australia & New Zealand:

          First, I created a fun look for my cover using two Heidi Swapp banners, two large tag-like banners, modeling paste, Tim Holtz distress paint, and a TCW camera stencil.  Left-click on any of the photos to see a larger picture.

 
          For this look, I lightly distressed a piece of white cardstock with ink and paint.  I love the Tim Holtz distress paint & the blueprint cling stamps, so I used them to make this fun globe-printed tag.  I used a travel journal acetate piece that I found in my stash as an overlay.  Next, I mixed some of the mustard seed distress paint with the modeling paste and smoothed it across the 'Picture Perfect' word and camera on The Crafters Workshop stencil.  The finishing touch was the golden rhinestone for the camera flash!
 
          The second set of pages, were a set of tag-size smaller pages where I added banners, photos, and flags.  I was following along with Heidi Swapp and her team as they gave some beautiful ideas and examples on the blog, like:  accordion tags.  
 
 
          Six small tags decorated with small banners, photos, stamped sayings, and butterflies were folded into an accordion fan.  The first and last tag are attached to the pages of the album so that it can fold and unfold as you open and close the album.  Plus, I used a small circle stencil and some white modeling paste to create a textured background on the larger tag.  Too fun!
 
          I love all of the different layers, sizes, and types of pages that this album has!  One of the fantastic ideas shared by Heidi and her team was to create a small mini-album that attaches to the top of the clear acrylic page - AWESOME! 
         
 
          I used a 4" x 12" piece of Color Pop Pink Dot and a smaller piece of Sugar Chic Drama 3" x 12" to create two openings - I glued the Pink Dot paper with the white side up to the acrylic page.  Then, layered the Drama paper on top of the acrylic page, but left it loose by punching holes and tying it to spirals!  I added memorabilia in the glassine bag and clipped it to the pink dot flip.  A gorgeous pink sequin heart from Heidi Swapp is the perfect embellishment to hold the flip in place (glue one side only and tuck the flap behind the other).  Add sparkling letters to spell Taronga Zoo and this set of pages are complete.  Day 1 is captured!
 
          For Day 2, I decided to just use one of my favorite quotes and decorate with some altered art techniques.  It's hard to see it from my photo, but there is a heart cut out that the cream ribbon is tied through, and you can see a picture of the kiddos on the next page.  These interactive elements are perfect for keeping you moving through the album!  Let's check out Day 2:
         
 
           The shimmery blue brick design was created by mixing Teal Color Shine with heavy gel medium and brushing it across a brick stencil. I love that it dries clear so you can see the paper pattern below it!  After stamping the Ali Edwards quote onto vellum, I attached it to the color magic frame and added some cute heart and word stickers.  Finally, I stapled one of the new Heidi Swapp  acrylic Clear Pop Tabs - 'Amazing'
 
          Now, I have to say these next two pages are some of my favorite from the book...  I created a pocket with a few scrap pieces I had from Pink Paislee and Heidi Swapp color magic and layered a folded piece of vellum between them.  Then I made five tags from thin cardboard, covered them with scraps of paper and added a 2R photo to each - I have room to journal on the back of each one.
         
 
            To tie the two pages together, I used a strip of glitter tape across the bottom and white modeling paste through a stencil on both the top center and bottom center of the pages.  I love the way the mustard color transitions to the sweet cherry on the hearts!  My vellum flower at the bottom right is attached only on the edges to create a pocket for additional photos - what a great day at Featherdale Wildlife Park!
 
          Day 3 of our adventure starts at Circular Quay - so to separate day 2 from day 3 visually in my memory file, I used a piece of vellum in the 5x7" photo sleeve.  Tim Holtz has some awesome quote stamps, so I used Staz-on to stamp the vellum and then silver acrylic paint behind it to help it pop.  A few color magic scraps cut into flags stapled to the top and covered with a strip of my new favorite photography washi tape and - tada!
 
 
 
          And once you flip that photo sleeve over, you have two new pages to enjoy!  I used a 3R photo on the left over the same spot where I painted silver...  then, I used 2 Heidi Swapp mini-instaframes for the bottom photos.  I love, love, love the way the washi tape wrapped around the bottom of the instaframes worked out!  Finally, I tucked a small photo behind the larger Charlie Chaplin photo. 
 
 
          We flew from Australia to New Zealand on Day 4, so with the time change and jetlag I was only able to capture a few shots of arriving in NZ and the Marine Museum in downtown Auckland.   
  
          On this page I created a fotoflip from a Heidi Swapp paper I had in my stash...  I used one piece that was 1" shorter than the other to create the staggered fotoflip.  I used a piece of baker's twine to stitch the two pieces together to form the flip.  Then I added some scalloped ribbon and banner flags to the side...  and my favorites: the No Limits buzz word and the sprayable glitter thickers. 
 
          Now this next page, continues our first day in NZ and shows a fun photo of the kiddos along Quay Street with a gorgeous blue sky!  I used another No Limits buzz word and shiny silver glitter Thickers. 
 
 


          The cutout could hold a picture, but I chose to follow Kim Jeffress' idea and make it a window held on by a brad that allows you to swing the note card aside and peek through to the next page.  The hot pink ribbon tied to the side and the hot pink washi tape add a dash of color to the neutrals and ties it together.

          On Day 5, we picked up the campervan - I love that I have lots of room to journal about our experiences and add extra photos (my true weakness!) into this matchbook that I attached.  I added the Oh, Yeah vellum tag - this tag is so adorable - I need a pack of 10!!! 


 
          At the end of the Day 5, we had traveled across the top of the NZ North Island from Auckland to Tauranga and found our campsite, just in time to spend an hour down at the ocean.   
 
 
          I have to say that out of all the 32 pages created, I love this one the best.  I like the new paint technique & 'page-lift' that I learned from Kim Jeffress, the color combination, and the layout - but most of all I love it when a good plan comes together :)  I was able to use some of my stash:  the glassine bag was perfect to hold our campervan rental agreement and 5 additional beach photos (I punched a hole in the corner of the 5 photos and tied them with baker's twine to make it easier to pull them out of the glassine bag.);  some random sequins;  and some leftover letters.  How fun is it to have additional info underneath the original page when you flip it up?  Too cute!
 
          Day 6 began with a short walk to the beach to see the water one more time.  I got a great picture of all of our shadows on the beach and wanted it to be a focal point of the page.  I was inspired by one of the ideas Kim Jeffress had in her set of pages - she printed out on vellum and overlaid it on the album page.  So I used Wordle and created a multi-colored spread of words and printed it out on vellum.  Underneath the vellum there's a black and white striped bag that holds additional photos.   
 
 
          The right-hand side had two things going on:  (1) three pocket photo sleeve, and (2) a neutral gray album page.  I love yellow, so I thought I would mix the yellow with some black and white like the circle zebra cupcake liner.
 
          These two pages are pretty simple.  On the left page, I used heavy gel medium and a circle stencil to create some texture.  A nice mat makes a great pocket for pictures behind the photo. 

 

 
          The acrylic page on the right, just begs for you to peek through to the next pages.  I attached a 4x6 photo behind the acrylic using Glossy Accents along the bottom and in the center of the top...  the yellow zigzag and the Heidi Swapp phrases cover the bottom, and my butterfly cutout covers the spot at the top.     I used an adorable Heidi Swapp openable that says "Remember this" on the next page, but made sure to place it so you can see it pointing to the picture on the acrylic AND the info on the next page...  inside it holds lots of fun memories of our adventure at Agrodome and the sheep show.
 
          The next picture shows two pages: one has the back of the 3 photo sleeve and the second has a beautiful rainbow chevron folded page.  I chose to only put a photo in the center of the photo sleeve to draw attention to the sheep show.  The left side shows the folded page closed - you can see how cute the camera from the No Limits Stix draws your attention to the photo.  Below that photo, I created a flip frame that ties the colors of the layout together. 
 
 
           The right side of this picture shows the folded page open.  I put together a photo collage of some of my favorite snapshots captured on our short walk through the Redwood Forest and traveling on to Lake Taupo.  The beautiful design of the album page needed just minimal embellishment.
 
          The next day starts with these Here & Now Day 7 pages.  I followed the suggestion by Lindsay Bateman and folded a small strip on the top of the card to make a flip-up card. 
 
 
          The next two pages have a large banner plus a folded page to separate some of the different activities that I had in photos.  I used some of my sticker stash to decorate the banner.  The top photo shows the pages with the vellum overlay and the folded page. 

 
 
          The bottom photo shows the banner lifted and the folded-page open to reveal additional photos.  I used a chevron stencil inside the folded-page, add to that a fabulous buzz words and the heart cut-out - FUN!
 
          The next set of pages shows our detour to the Waitomo Big Bird Farm on our way to the campground for the night.  We heard about this farm on the tourist radio!  It was one of our very favorite things that we experienced!!!  It was small, but the kids loved being up close & personal with the animals. 
 
          
          I used the flip card to introduce the next adventure with some black thicker glitter letters.  Underneath is a sweet picture of my son with the puppy we met, in addition to the journaling regarding .  The flip card is attached to a mini-folder and holds four other pictures of our time at the farm. 
          The next set of pages finishes up our farm visit.  I used my favorite new stencil, the TCW Quatrefoil and mustard Color Shine, plus the beautiful mint vellum letters
 
 
          The cutest part is the ostrich feathers.  My youngest daughter actually said to the ostrich, "Can I take some of these, Mr. Ostrich?" as she was holding a couple of her feathers!!!  I loved using the black sequin arrow to point to the actual ostrich feathers. 
          Finally, I used a chevron washi tape to attach a circle-punched paper into the album with pictures of us feeding the llamas...  behind this I've attached the brochure that describes the farm using a beautiful Pink Paislee arrow to draw your attention to it. 
 
 
          Lastly, I have an adorable photo of the kiddos on the top bunk in the RV - they loved seeing the scenery and animals, but their FAVORITE part was the RV and campsites...   so glad I have this album to capture all of the memories!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment