Sunday, August 11, 2013

Hello Story! | 5 Years Ago...

Hello Story! by Ali Edwards continues to inspire me...

5 years ago... we became a family of 5.  Everything since has been an adventure in every way!  We moved to Hong Kong and had twins in the same year...  we've traveled around Asia/Pacific for our holidays and enjoyed learning more about the different cultures and people.  I cherish this time with our little ones - 

I have scrapbooked a lot of the trips individually, but I had never put it all together.  This turned out to be a fun experience to look at the last five years on a map.

To create this layout digitally in photoshop, I used:
  • Dreamy5 paint backgrounds by Nancie Rowe Janitz  
  • digital paint brush by NRJ
  • cherish - Heidi Swapp
  • Asia/Pacific map .gif
  • where does the time go - Ali Edwards
  • fonts:  Tiza, Traveling Typewriter, Georgia, and UCU Charles script
  • this time last year journaling block by Ali Edwards
  • Photoshop
Take a look at the completed double-page layout:

 
 
I used a 12x24 blank workspace to create my double-page layout.  In addition, I made a duplicate of the painted background, flipped it, and tweaked it to 'blend' the look across the two pages.  Next, I added my map.
 
I googled Asia/Pacific map images...  and then saved the one that I wanted to use onto my computer.  After pulling this image into my Photoshop file, I used a linear burn to have the colors from the map mix with the colors from my background - SUPER FUN!  Pulling my photos into the layout came next. 
 
Before I could add my photos, I used a brush to create a frame for my photo (click here for a super brush tutorial from YouTube!).  The brush I chose is one by NRJ and looks like a paint brush stroke.  I decided I wanted my photos to blend into the background a bit, so I used the brush as a frame and a second duplicate brush as a mask (basically, I copied the brush and made the second one a little smaller to use as a mask for my photo).  I selected a soft color from my background for the frame, then clipped my photo to the mask (Alt-left click in the layer menu when you get the double circles).  Each photo has a date and location above it and an arrow pointing to the country. 
 
Finally, I added the journaling block and the text to complete my layout.   Click on the photo to see a larger view!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment