Thursday, December 12, 2013

          Okay - confession time!  I love creating scrapbook pages - and have developed a total addiction to mixed media / canvas creations, but I never ever make cards.  Never.  Ever.  My kiddos create cards for friends and relatives...  but I ALWAYS buy mine to give...  So...  again - working out of my comfort zone - here's my first go at some Christmas cards.  A few other ideas crashed and burned before these came together.  I have a long way to go on learning, but all in all not too bad to start.
          First, my angel card (Figure 1) in gold and white on a tan background.  I used the beautiful Sissex angel wings die to cut the wings.  Then, I sent them thru a dry emboss press to create the swirls - plus, added some white glitter and high gloss to make them shimmer.  Next, cut out a large heart shape and do an accordion fold for the angel body.  I found a gorgeous pearl loop "button" to use as the head.  The music background is stamped with gold ink and the Joyeux Noel is from a stamp set I purchased last year...  simple and elegant card.

Figure 1
 
          Second, I created a snowflake card (Figure 2).  I started by painting a paper with Sapphire On Ice Luminarte Silk paint.  After it dried, I used a TCW snowflake stencil and mixed high gloss and glitter together and brushed it over the stencil.  AMAZING the beautiful shimmery snowflakes that it created!!!  This photo doesn't show how gorgeous this looks.  Finally, the snowflake on top is created by cutting a toilet paper roll intp 1/2 inch sections and painting it with white paint mixed with glitter.  it turned out so cute!!!  This would be an easy card to make with kids -
   
Figure 2
 
          My third card (Figure 3) was created by using a Sissex Gumball machine die.  This sissex die combined with it's embossing folder - I loved it!  I rubbed a teal blue ink over the 5 cents and gumballs to give it a bit of definition...   and added a fun red ribbon.  The sentiment says...  "Back in the old days..."  "it was the small things that made life BIG" - too fun!
 
Figure 3
 
          My final card was one of my favorite - it is light & fun - and since we live in a tropical climate - appropriate for our Christmas season (Figure 4).  I started with the Sissex Accordian Flip die - and created three sections.  Then, using white paint and high gloss acrylic, I stamped a chevron shape on the middle frame.  Next, I stamped the palm tree/Christmas tree, surfing Santa, and the "tis the season" sentiment - then painted it with Luminarte silk paints.  I have to say I have LOVED working with these gorgeous shimmery paints!!!  On the reverse side I can place three pictures before I send the card out.
 
Figure 4
 
          So I have to say my first experience making cards was a trial run.  It was exciting to try new things - I had a great time!  Hope you all create some on your own too.



No comments:

Post a Comment